Simple Apple and Carrot Horse Treats...Baked with Love and Pony Approved!10:47 AM
Many people consider my family and I crazy pet owners. We spoil all of our four-legged critters whether they are our dogs or ponies. Usually we buy special treats for everyone, but my daughter decided that she wanted to start making homemade treats for all of our critters. So over the weekend we made apple and carrot horse treats she read about in one of her horse books.
These treats are incredibly easy to make and only require ingredients you most likely have in your pantry. Well, we had to make two substitutions because I didn't realize we didn't have any corn oil or molasses. Next time!
Here is what you need:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup flour
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of sugar
2 tsp of corn oil
1/4 cup of molasses (maybe a tad more)
1 cup of shredded carrots
1 cup of diced apple
What you will need to do:
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
1. Shred and dice carrot and apple by hand or in a food processor.
2. Place 1 cup of oats in a large bowl.
3. Add the dry ingredients.
4. Add the wet ingredients.
5. Stir together thoroughly
6. Add carrot and apple mixture and stir thoroughly.
7. Roll into golf-ball sized balls and place on a cookie sheet. Your hands will get messy, which is great for a kid!
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes and then cool.
Then comes the really fun part...feed to your favorite horses and ponies!
Everyone at the barn gobbled them up!
Do you bake treats for your horses and ponies? If so, what are your favorite treats to make?